This Greek bean soup recipe is extremely cheap, but very tasty and easy to make. Greek bean soup is also called fassoulada.
Greek Bean Soup (Fassoulada)
1 lb. dried navy beans
½ cup olive oil
1 large carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups chopped onion
2 tsp minced garlic
one 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 cup chopped parsley
3 quarts water
salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the dried navy beans in hot water to cover for 30 minutes. Drain and discard the soaking water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over high heat. Sauté the onion, carrot, and celery until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and sauté, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the soaked navy beans, tomato paste, and water.
- Bring the bean soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, until the beans are tender, about 2 hours. Add the chopped parsley about 15 minutes before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste immediately before serving.
- Add an additional olive oil to each bowl after serving. Stir well before eating.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over each bowl after serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This recipe was adapted from The Complete Book of Greek Cooking
Find more bean recipes here: The Complete List of Bean Recipes by BeansBeansBeans