President Obama has his special own chili recipe, and it was recently published in the cookbook A White House Garden Cookbook: Healthy Ideas from the First Family for Your Family.
President Obama’s Chili Recipe
one 15 oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 lb. ground turkey or beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or one 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (juice reserved)
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon ground basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the ground meat and sauté until it browns.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, oregano, turmeric, basil, and chili powder. Add to the ground meat.
- Add the red wine vinegar to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot. Simmer until the tomatoes cook down, stirring frequently.
- Add the kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream.
Yield: Serves 6-8