Pinto bean corn bread is an excellent side dish for chili or soup. It also makes a hearty breakfast.
Pinto Bean Corn Bread
1 cup canned pinto beans or cooked pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup canned corn, frozen corn, or fresh corn kernels
2 cups yellow cornmeal
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup milk
½ cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, milk, and melted butter.
- Combine the liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients. Add the pinto beans and corn to the batter. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned and a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Yield: 12 servings
This recipe was adapted from Lean Bean Cuisine: Over 100 Tasty Meatless Recipes from Around the World.