This green bean casserole recipe straight from Grandma doesn’t use canned soup or French fried onions full of chemicals. It has a much richer flavor, too.
Green Bean Casserole
Three 14.5 oz cans green beans, drained
¼ cup onion, diced
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white sugar
½ cup crumbled buttery round crackers
3 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in the flour until smooth, then cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the sugar, onion, salt, and sour cream. Add the green beans. Mix well, making sure to coat the green beans.
- In a separate pan, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. In a small bowl, combine the crumbled crackers with the melted butter.
- Place the green bean mixture in a 2½ quart casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Add the crumbled crackers and butter mixture over the layer of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the cheese is bubbly.
Yield: 10 servings