Garbanzo beans are also known as chickpeas.
Garbanzo Beans Braised with Swiss Chard
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (1 cup dried), drained
2 bunches green or red Swiss chard, rinsed, stemmed, and roughly chopped
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup dry white wine
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 small red onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp tomato paste
pinch of red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the Swiss chard and cook for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water. When cool enough to handle, take handfuls of Swiss chard and gently squeeze out the water. Chop and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, carrot, and red pepper flakes, and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine and let it evaporate slowly, about 10 minutes. Then add the garbanzo beans and Swiss chard to the pan. Salt to taste.
- In a separate cup or bowl, add the chicken broth and tomato paste. Mix well, then stir it into the pan.
- Simmer until about half the broth has evaporated and the sauce is thick, about 10 minutes. Mix well.
Yield: 4 servings
This recipe was adapted from Fagioli: The Bean Cuisine of Italy.