This healthy brown rice and beans recipe can be served as a dinner or side dish. If eating as a dinner, consider pairing it with tofu or chicken.
Brown Rice and Fresh Green Beans with Asian Sesame Dressing
½ cup brown rice
1½ lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
2 tsp Asian sesame oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp sesame seeds
½ cup raw peanuts, toasted
1½ tbsps rice vinegar or fresh lemon juice
1 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp corn oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp salt, plus salt to taste
- Wash the brown rice and drain. In a pot, add the brown rice, stock or water, and the ¼ tsp of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 45 minutes. Do not stir or remove the cover while the rice is cooking. After 45 minutes, check the rice to see if the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. If not, cover and continue cooking, checking the rice every few minutes, until the rice done.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. When the rice is nearly ready, salt the water to taste and add the fresh green beans. Cook the fresh green beans until just tender, about 5-7 minutes. When the beans have finished cooking, drain and place in a large bowl.
- While the beans and rice are cooking, make the Asian sesame dressing. In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar or lemon juice, corn oil, Dijon mustard, and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste and whisk together to emulsify. Set aside.
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds by placing them in the hot pan and stirring constantly until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the cooked brown rice and the peanuts to the bowl of cooked fresh green beans. Pour the Asian sesame dressing over the bowl of brown rice and green beans and mix well. Garnish with the toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Yield: Serves 6
This recipe was adapted from Beans & Rice (Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library)