This black bean frittata makes an excellent breakfast or brunch. To save time in the morning, the frittata mixture can be made before going to bed and left in the refrigerator overnight. This is also a tasty way of using leftover beans or vegetables.
Black Bean, Corn, and Leek Frittata
½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup frozen corn or canned corn, drained
¾ cup leeks, diced
½ cup red bell peppers, diced
½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 ½ tsps vegetable oil
2 tsp garlic, minced
2 whole eggs
3 egg whites
1/3 cup milk
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 tbsp Parmesean cheese, grated
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a saucepan. Add the leeks and red bell peppers, and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring to avoid burning the garlic.
- Remove from the pan from the heat. Stir in corn, canned black beans, and cilantro.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, and pepper, and whisk. Add the cooked vegetables from the pan.
- Spray a 12-inch nonstick frying pan with vegetable spray and heat over medium-low heat. Pour in fritatta mixture. Cook for 5 minutes. Using a spatula, gently lift the sides of frittata to let the uncooked egg mixture flow under frittata. Sprinkle with Parmesean cheese. Cover, then cook for another 3 minutes or until frittata is set.
- Use spatula to carefully push the frittata onto a large plate. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Yield: 4-6 servings
This recipe was adapted from Beans, Lentil and Tofu Gourmet.